1. Think of any five people who you think have achieved something significant. Give some reasons why you chose them.
I would like to choose following five persons due to below mentioned reasons:
- Anuradha Koirala: She is the reputed woman personality who has been fighting against girl trafficking and various abuses committed against women. She is currently the Chairperson of Maiti Nepal; the only reputed organization to work in the welfare of women and children. She has got a number of national and international awards and honors for her noble efforts.
- Mark Zuckerbery: Invention of a popular social network website called Facebook is one of the mentionable and remarkable initiations. The inventor of this well popular social hurricane is Mark Zuckerbery along with his classmate Eduardo Saverin, Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes. Originally, it was called Facemash. As a Facemash it was opened on October 28, 2003. Formally the inventor Mark Zuckerbery launched a new website “The Facebook”. Facing various troubles, challenges and criticisms the inventor has become successful to bring it as the one of the widest forms of social network website. The student of Harvard Computer Science Mark got insight to create a concept of website or online network that gradually led him to bring facebook to its present form. At present billions of users have created their Ids on facebook as members. Facebook has become the best social networking media for the promotion of business, connection of people, to have access to information and many more. It was limited to some core groups for specific purposes in the initial period of facebook invention. Later on, it was made public to have easy access to it. Public have massively influencing impacts and many utilities of facebook. No doubt some drawbacks are there with ample benefits of facebook. We can read and get comments, many negative influences, and impacts of facebook and its users. In comparison of utilities and benefits, the misuses and loss of facebook are uncountable. At present, if we apply facebook properly, we can benefited in a number of ways. But if we are not able to handle it properly, we can be the victim of facebook too.
- Binod Chaudhary: Binod Chaudhary is the Chairperson of Chaudhary Group (CG Group), Nepal. He has become only billionaire from the Himalayan country, Nepal published in international journal. He has become a successful entrepreneur having widely extended business of diversified areas home and abroad. He is also lately taken as the best personality figure with his impressive biography.
- Anil Shah: Currently he is the CEO of Mega Bank Ltd. He is one of the highly successful bankers from Nepal. He is also known as a charismatic personality having tactful skills and visions. He is also taken as the personnel earning the highest income as the staff (more than 1.6 million per month, Nepali currency).
- Jhamak Ghimire: She has become an inspiring writer and invaluable personality becoming an example of enable or disable. Having no perfect limbs and sense organs and body, Jhamak has written some heart melting books like: “Jeewan Kanda Ki Phool”. She has been awarded with Madan Puraskar, the highly reputed honor from Nepal. She has inspired millions of readers: What is not possible if we have a burning desire to do something.
2. Change the tense of the verb in brackets to fit the sentences.
- She (travel) with two crew members.
- She said she (have) this dream since childhood.
- Anousheh (be) from Iran.
- She hopes that she (inspires) a new generation of women.
- Just as Vostok was due to dock with the Soyuz, radio contact (lose).
- After she (sells) her business, Anousheh (gives) $10 million dollars to the X Prize Foundation, an organization which (encourages) advances in human spaceflight.
- Some women and girls do not (have) the same opportunities as men. 8. There (be) five Vostok missions before the first female astronaut (go) into space in 1963.
- Yori Gagarin (go) into space in Vostok 1, the first time anyone ever (journey) beyond the Earth’s atmosphere and the first time anyone (go) into orbit.
- NASA (plan) further shuttle and rocket missions next year.
- She is traveling with two crew members.
- She said she has had this dream since childhood.
- Anousheh is from Iran.
- She hopes that she will inspire a new generation of women. 5. Just as Vostok was due to dock with the Soyuz, radio contact was lost.
- After she told her business, Anousheh gave $10 million dollars to the X Prize Foundation, an organization which encourages advances in human spaceflight.
- Some women and girls do not have the same opportunities as men.
- There were five Vostok missions before the first female astronaut went into space in 1963.
- Yori Gagarin went into space in Vostok 1, the first time anyone ever journeyed beyond the Earth’s atmosphere and the first time anyone had gone into orbit.
- NASA is planning further shuttle and rocket missions next year.
3. Write in some paragraph about what you have achieved so far in terms of your personal goals and your job.
I am going to talk about what I have achieved so far in terms of my personal goals and my job. My career had begun when I passed SLC in a good division from a remote region of our country. Luckily, I got a chance to continue my further education staying in my home. Since my parents belonged to the lower middle class they couldn’t afford for me to continue my higher studies from private college.
I had passion to complete my education from management faculty so that I could flourish my career in business ultimately. Then I continued my study in the local +2 college of my village. I used to teach in a village school in the day and do my college study in the morning. I did excellent in grade XI and XII scoring distinction. After that I had to go to Kathmandu for further studies. I set out for the capital city and I joined a private college for the BBS Program. Now I am graduating with full attention and dedication.
Along with my studies I have been doing some part time jobs in an Export-Import Company. I have got golden opportunities to accumulate many business ideas. I am fully satisfied working with seniors and talented personalities. My goal to be a skilled and successful business person is nearing day by day. As my study is going to be completed, my experiences, confidence and determination are stronger. I am in the middle of my career. I am sure and certain that I will achieve my goal in the coming ten year’s duration. This shows I have achieved academic qualifications and some working experience for my goal and my job so far.
4. Think about your country over the past five years, what it is like now, and how it might change in the next five years. Here are some topics:
- lifestyles and the standard of living
- the economy
- the government
- relations with other countries
Our Country: Past and Next Five Years
Development and changes are ever evolving phenomena. Over the past five years or so, a great many changes have taken place in the life styles, standard of living, economy, politics and foreign relation like sectors. Some changes have become positive but some have taken place negatively. There are many changes in life styles and the standard of living. In the name of modernization people have become very standard. They are accustomed to using modern gadgets like iphone, i pad. They have chosen to live in the standard life living in flats and apartments. Domestic tourism has become easy activities like normal holidays. To be well connected among the people they have used Internet and social media as a fashion.
Another aspect of development and change is the economy. Tourism has flourished very smoothly. A number of developmental programs related to transportation, communication, hydropower, modern agriculture, etc. have achieved qualitative changes. Five years’ duration has brought rapid and massive change in communication and technology.
Politics is very unstable in our country. There is no positive and qualitative progress in the case of politics, government works and policy formation. People have great expectations from the government and constituent assembly but nothing progress has taken place. The optimism of people is slowly going down in terms of law, system and peace and stability.
We can see a wide relationship enhancement with technology. Individually, people are well familiar with the major places of the world. Either in the name of study or tour or work, Nepalese people have widely visited major countries. America, Australia, Korea, Japan, England have become very common grounds to make frequent ups and downs. Nepal has got some progress in identifying herself in the world via tourism. It has brought millions of tourists from abroad. Technology has played supportive roles to have this result
This all shows the pace of development and change is ever evolving and going on in the duration of the past five years and so many changes will have taken place in the next five years. Most importantly in the field of communication, science and development massive change will have occurred. The facilities and human life will be more comfortable though there will have been a number of threats and challenges.
5. Read the letter below regarding a new research project and choose the appropriate phrases to keep a consistent level of formality.
Dear Professor Schmidt,
I hope all is well with you. /How are things?
I am writing to ask/ just thought I’d ask whether you might be interested in taking part/ participating in a study I am conducting/ doing on goal setting as a means of improving performance. I have already collected masses / six months’ worth of data on the topic. I would be grateful for your comments /It would be really great to hear what you think about this.
I’ve put the questionnaire in with this letter/ Please find attached the questionnaire.
Speak to you soon. /I look forward to hearing from you.
All the best/ With best regards,
Sandra/ Sandra March
- Dear Professor Schmidt,
- I hope all is well with you.
- I am writing to ask
- six months’ worth
- I would be grateful for your comments.
- Please find attached the questionnaire.
- I look forward to hearing from you.
- With best regards,
- Sandra March